Anxiety: an unwanted companion.
40,000,000 adults in the US experience anxiety. That is more than 10% of the whole population, which means that 1 in every 10 people have to deal with this unwanted feeling. Can anything be done to combat this feeling? Experts say there is natural supplements that help significantly.
For some, anxiety feels like never-ending thoughts and worry. For others, it’s nervousness and the sense the world is moving too fast (or too slow). You might even experience anxiety more as a direct physical reaction from your body: sweating, numbness, shortness of breath, tingling, tightness in your chest, etc. Whatever the symptoms may be, the feeling is far from desirable and chances are you don’t feel quite like yourself.
Why do I feel anxious?
It’s normal to experience healthy amounts of anxiety on a day-to-day basis. Maybe you have an important event coming up and you aren’t feeling prepared. However, if you experience chronic anxiety, you may have an anxiety condition. These conditions usually do not stem from one single root cause, and in fact, have several influencing factors combined. These factors include a combination of genetics and circumstances in our everyday environments. A family history of mental health conditions, personality traits, physical health problems, and the obvious—ongoing stressful events can trigger severe anxiety. The causes of anxiety can be hard to pin down, but you don’t have to resign yourself to anxious feelings.
The top 5 natural supplements for anxiety.
- CBD – Organically grown CBD promotes relaxation and minimizes stress. What’s more, studies have shown that CBD interacts with the parts of the brain that regulate fear and anxiety-induced behaviors to such a degree that it can be considered effective as a treatment for multiple anxiety disorders.
- Magnesium – Magnesium is involved in over 300 essential functions in the body, one of which is neurotransmitter health. It is believed that magnesium affects the hypothalamus, the part of your brain which regulates the glands responsible for your response to stress, which helps in reducing anxiousness and improving an overall sense of calm.
- Ashwagandha – If you’re familiar with Ayurveda, a whole-body healing system from India—one of the world’s oldest, you’ve likely heard of the herb Ashwagandha. This powerful root adaptogen has been proven to lower cortisol levels (that’s your stress hormone) and lower anxiety, depression, and stress levels.
- Cordyceps – This medicinal mushroom aids the body’s stress response and regulates anxiety by stimulating the adrenal glands and modulating the nervous system.
- Kava Kava – Kava is a plant that grows in tropical weather, specifically on the Pacific Coast. The Kava has traditionally been used to brew a ceremonial drink and as an herbal remedy. Modern researchers have identified an active ingredient called ‘kavain’ that affects mood receptors to relieve stress and anxiety. Some research even supports Kava Kava as a treatment for generalized anxiety disorder.
How to incorporate supplements into your routine.